Going on an African safari holiday with your children is one of the most interesting, fun and educational holidays you can take. The Hide offers the perfect variety of child-friendly activities to keep your children happy and busy during your holiday. Twenty-five years ago, when the Preston family built The Hide, their children had the incredible opportunity to grow up in the wilderness of Hwange. This first-hand knowledge of what is both safe and enjoyable for children to do in the bush has been weaved into the very fabric of The Hide, which makes a trip with us a sure winner with every member of the family.
The Hide welcomes children of all ages to stay at their two family friendly safari camps where your family will be guaranteed ample space and have the exclusive luxury of private staff and private guides to take care of you. If you need any further convincing, you will be happy to know that children stay for free at The Hide!
Tom’s Little Hide
This which was built as a tribute to Tom Preston, is a beautiful and authentic safari house which has three large rooms, all of which are en-suite and one inter-leading child’s room. The rooms are connected to a central dining room and open out onto a veranda and private swimming pool. Tom’s Little Hide can accommodate up to 10 guests with six adults and four children. If requested, guests can book an additional tent for two extra adults from The Hide’s main camp which is located within close proximity. Tom’s Little Hide can be booked with a minimum of 4 paying adults.
The Private Hide
It has 360-degree spectacular views and with the waterhole right there, you can watch the wildlife pass by throughout the day. The Private Hide is the best place to be to escape your busy lives and to relax and soak in your surroundings. Tents six and seven at The Hide can be booked exclusively and are perfect for family safaris. The Private Hide is booked on a minimum of 2 paying adults.
Here are some age appropriate activities to ensure a stress-free and fun safari in Hwange National Park:
Best for children 0 to 5 years
- Our family friendly lodges can offer shorter game drives to excite and inspire our younger guests about being in the wilderness. In addition to game drives, we also provide safari-coloring books and ‘stories’ to keep them entertained during the day.
- Another popular activity to do are walks through an underground tunnel which will lead them out to the underground Hide by the waterhole. This is the best way to enjoy close encounters with wildlife.
- We also have a beautiful swimming pool at Little Tom’s Hide will provide hours of fun and games, especially in the heat of summer. Please note, the pool is not fenced and children are the responsibility of their parents/guardians.
Best for children 5 – 10 years
- When the children get a little bit older it, it opens up more activities for them during their safari. You can book them for a safari adventure around Tom’s Little Hide or The Private Hide, where they will learn about tracking and identifying smaller wildlife species like the Small 5, flora and fauna and other exciting wildlife skills.
- Something new we are offering is a visit to our Museum which has exciting and educational effects for them to look at and learn about. Our Museum features much of The Hide’s history as well as facts about Hwange National Park and its heritage.
Best for children 12 + years
As either first time travelers or now seasoned safari travelers, children 12 years and over will enjoy every minute of their safari. From tracking and hide sits to learning about conservation and identifying birdlife, your children will not want to leave!
- Morning and Afternoon Game Drives. Our guides will be sure to make each and every game drive a fun and educational experience, guiding children through the African bush and enriching them with wildlife stories along the way.
- Our wonderful team in camp love to pass on their environmental knowledge and educate children on conservation. They will also share with you, their own initiatives by showing you on-going projects with a ‘back of house’ tour.